The most important meal of the day, they say. So why not make it the most delicious one, too? At So Good So You, we're naturally big fans of starting our days with a fruit-and-veggie-packed smoothie. It's a great way to get 3-5 servings of fruits, veggies, and superfoods right off the bat. Many of us don't get anywhere close to the recommended 7-8 servings of fruits and veggies on a daily basis, so a morning smoothie is an awesome way to give you a strong head start. For 6 of our favorite smoothie recipes from the once So Good So You Cafes, check out this blog post.
If smoothies aren't your thing, or you prefer shooting your fruits and veggies in probiotic shot form, give one of these four delicious breakfast options a try. What is your favorite breakfast meal to kick off the day? Let us know in the comments!
Healthy Pumpkin Muffins via Cookie and Kate
*yields 12 muffins
- ⅓ cup melted coconut oil or extra-virgin olive oil*
- ½ cup maple syrup or honey
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup pumpkin purée
- ¼ cup milk of choice (I used almond milk)
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin spice blend (or 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, ½ teaspoon ground ginger, ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg, and ¼ teaspoon ground allspice or cloves)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ¾ cups whole wheat flour**
- ⅓ cup old-fashioned oats, plus more for sprinkling on top
- Optional: 2 teaspoons turbinado (raw) sugar for a sweet crunch
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit (165 degrees Celsius). If necessary, grease all 12 cups of your muffin tin with butter or non-stick cooking spray (my pan is non-stick and didn’t require any grease).
- In a large bowl, beat the oil and maple syrup or honey together with a whisk. Add the eggs, and beat well. Add the pumpkin purée, milk, pumpkin spice blend, baking soda, vanilla extract and salt.
- Add the flour and oats to the bowl and mix with a large spoon, just until combined (a few lumps are ok). If you’d like to add any additional mix-ins***, like nuts, chocolate or dried fruit, fold them in now.
- Divide the batter evenly between the muffin cups. Sprinkle the tops of the muffins with about a tablespoon of oats, followed by a light sprinkle of raw sugar and/or pumpkin spice blend if you’d like. Bake muffins for 22 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean.
- Place the muffin tin on a cooling rack to cool. These muffins are delicate until they cool down. You might need to run a butter knife along the outer edge of the muffins to loosen them from the pan.
- These muffins taste even better after they have rested for a couple of hours! They’ll keep at room temperature for up to 2 days, or in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. They keep well in the freezer in a freezer-safe bag for up to 3 months (just defrost individual muffins as needed).
Avocado Toast via Cookie and Kate
*yields 1 slice
- 1 slice of bread (I like thick-sliced whole-grain bread best)
- ½ ripe avocado
- Pinch of salt
- Optional: Any of the extra toppings of your choice
- Toast your slice of bread until golden and firm.
- Remove the pit from your avocado. Use a big spoon to scoop out the flesh. Put it in a bowl and mash it up with a fork until it’s as smooth as you like it. Mix in a pinch of salt (about ⅛ teaspoon) and add more to taste, if desired.
- Spread avocado on top of your toast. Enjoy as-is or top with any extras offered in this post (I highly recommend a light sprinkle of flaky sea salt, if you have it).
Easy Overnight Oats via Feel Good Foodie
- ½ cup rolled old fashioned oats
- ½ cup milk of choice
- ¼ cup vegan Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon sweetener of choice honey or maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Option #1: Peanut Butter & Jelly
- 1 tablespoon strawberry jam
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- ¼ cup diced strawberries
- 2 tablespoons peanuts crushed
Option #2: Apple Pie
- 1/4 cup diced apples
- 1 tablespoon pecans chopped
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
Option #3: Banana Nutella
- ½ banana sliced
- 1 tablespoon Nutella
- 1 tablespoon hazelnuts crushed
- 1 tablespoon chocolate chips
Option #4: Almond Joy
- ¼ cup shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon almonds chopped
- 1 tablespoon chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- Place all ingredients into a large glass container and mix until combined.
- Cover the glass container with a lid or plastic wrap. Place in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight. Toppings can be added the night before or immediately before serving.
Uncover and enjoy from the glass container the next day. Thin with a little more milk or water, if desired.
Banana Baked Oatmeal via A Couple Cooks
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup pecan pieces (optional)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup mashed banana or 2 very ripe bananas
- 1 3/4 cups milk of choice (dairy, almond or oat)
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- For serving: Banana slices, almond butter or peanut butter
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.*
- Grease an 8 x 8″ or 9 x 9″ pan with coconut oil or a neutral oil. In a medium bowl, mix together the rolled oats, pecan pieces, baking powder, cinnamon, allspice, and kosher salt.
- Dump the dries into the prepared pan.
- Mash the bananas. In the same bowl, whisk together the bananas, milk, maple syrup, and vanilla. Drizzle the milk mixture over the oats. Stir lightly with a fork to make everything gets evenly incorporated.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes until the top is nicely golden and the oat mixture has set. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for at least 10 minutes (or more for the texture to fully set).
- Before serving, spread the top with almond butter or peanut butter (or a combination) and top with banana slices. Store leftovers refrigerated for up to 1 week: reheat in a 300 degree oven or microwave until warm.
Our go-to breakfast beverage? Probiotic shots, always. Each is crafted with a functional ingredient plus 1 billion CFUs of probiotic to support a healthy immune and digestive system. To find a store with SGSY shots near you, visit our store finder here.