It shouldn’t come as a surprise that a handful of our team members happen to be plant-based/veganish/health-nuts, that have a deep appreciation for delicious, nutritious food! In her spare time, Maddie Priem, our Social Community Associate, runs her own blog and Instagram page, @healthywithmae. She shares a wide variety of yummy meals and healthy recipes that she loves and recommends.
In the mood to cook more these days, Maddie was nice enough to share several of her favorite recipes. Explore her Quick Vegan Chickpea Falafel, Cajun TOFU “Alfredo” Pasta, Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies, AND Vegan Bread.
If you give any of these recipes a try, be sure to tag us on Instagram @sogoodsoyou or our Facebook page here. Happy cooking!
QUICK VEGAN CHICKPEA FALAFEL - Serves 2
- 1 can chickpeas
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1/4c + 1 tbsp of flour (at most, read instructions below)
- 1/4tsp Salt
- Seasonings of choice: I recommend dill, and garlic powder to taste.
- Place chickpeas, lemon, 2tbsp of flour and seasonings into the food processor and blend until combined.
- Add flour (up to 3 more tbsp) until the dough is no longer sticky and rolls into balls easy.
- At this point either keep them in balls or flatten slightly for a crispier falafel.
- Cook in a skillet with olive oil or in the air fryer, both fantastic options!
- For the air fryer, I cooked it on the lowest setting until they became golden and crisp. Mine took ~10-15min depending on thickness!
For oil-free: Use a small amount of veggie broth instead of oil when cooking in a skillet.
For gluten-free: Use gluten-free flour instead of all-purpose. Almond flour and coconut four will both make the mixture too dry, but a chickpea flour or gluten-free all-purpose would work great here.
CAJUN TOFU “ALFREDO” PASTA - Serves 2
- 2 oz extra firm tofu
- 1/2 tbsp non-dairy butter (optional)
- 1 tbsp of hummus
- .5 c + 1 tbsp unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1 tsp flour
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- .5 tsp miso paste
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tsp red chili pepper
- 2 tsp cajun seasoning
- Blend all ingredients in a high powered blender until smooth. Bring to a boil on the stovetop.
- Reduce and let simmer until thick, typically around 5 minutes. * Make sure you are stirring this often!!! It WILL burn!
- Pour over cooked noodles.
4-INGREDIENT VEGAN MINI-LOAF
- 1.5c of flour
- 1 tsp of quick-acting yeast
- 1/2C + 2tbsp of warm water
- 1 tsp salt
- Seasonings (nutritional yeast is also delicious)
- Add all of the ingredients to a bowl, mixing until JUST combined. Do not over mix!! This will make your bread tough! Cover with a dish towel and let sit for 40-60 minutes. If the environment is too cold, place it into the oven with JUST the light on, or let sit for 60 minutes.
- In the last 10 minutes, preheat your oven to 450 WITH YOUR DUTCH OVEN IN THE OVEN!
- Take the dough out and knead until it is smooth and you’re able to form it into a loaf shape. Take the Dutch oven out of the oven and put a bit of olive oil in the bottom to prevent sticking.
- Place your loaf directly into the Dutch oven and put the lid on. Place back into the oven for 30 minutes or until the loaf has split and begins to brown. Take the lid off, place a bit of olive oil on top (optional) and cook for an additional 10.
- Take the Dutch oven out of your oven and leave the loaf in there to cool down. Do not cut the loaf too early or it will lose its moisture!