Winter Warm Carrot Galette
Regardless of where you live, whether winter is a subtle decrease in degrees or a significant drop in temperature, we can all appreciate some cozy vibes this time of year. Spending more time indoors, and prepping for the holidays, many of us find ourselves in the mood for baking and whipping up something warm and tasty.
As you may have seen, this holiday season we’re sharing a Plant-based Holiday Recipe Guide in efforts to inspire connection with loved ones shared over flavorful food and beverages. The star of the show is this Winter Warm Carrot Galette. Perfect for an intimate dinner for two, this decadent dish makes for an eye catching main course that compliments the other components of your spread. If you give it a try yourself, be sure to share a photo with us on social media.
Winter Warm Carrot Galette
Ingredients – Fillings
- 6-8 full size carrots, rainbow if you can find them, cut into long strips halved or quartered depending on size of carrots
- ¼ C toasted hazelnuts, rough chopped
- Fresh Herbs, any combination of thyme, sage and parsley
- 1 recipe Pastry Crust
- 1 recipe shallot-mustard chutney
- 2 T Nut or coconut milk for brushing on pastry
- Make pastry crust and set aside.
- Roast carrots. Toss in a neutral oil, season with salt and pepper and arrange on a sheet tray over sprigs of herbs. Keep the herbs under the carrots to infuse the flavor but not burn.
- Roast at 450 for 8-12 mins until carrots are just starting to soften and the ends are browning slightly. Set aside.
- Make shallot-mustard chutney and cool slightly. Can be made while carrots are in the oven roasting.
- Turn the oven temp to 400 and assemble the Galette. Roll pastry dough out onto a lightly floured surface into a large, rough rectangle about 12” x 8”.
- Move the dough rectangle onto a sheet tray lined with parchment and lightly sprayed with non-stick cooking spray for assembly.
- Spread Chutney over the dough leaving 2-3 inches of space around the perimeter of dough.
- Arrange carrots diagonally on top of chutney allowing for that folding space of 2-3 inches around.
- Fold pastry crust around carrots. This does not have to be perfect!!
- Brush pastry with non-dairy milk of choice.
- Bake at 400 for 20-25 mins, until the pastry is golden brown.
- Garnish with lots of fresh herbs and toasted hazelnuts and serve room temp or warm.
Ingredients – Pastry Crust
- 1 C all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ⅓ coconut oil, not liquid, must be scoopable
- 2-4 T ice water
- Combine flour and salt in a large bowl.
- Cut in coconut oil using a pastry cutter, a fork or your fingertips. Work the coconut oil into the flour until the mixture resembles wet sand and you can feel little pieces of coconut oil still.
- Add ice water 1 T at a time and mix with fingers, adding more ice water as needed until a dough forms.
- Gently knead by hand just to bring dough together.
- Form dough into a rough rectangle and wrap tightly until use.
*Can be made ahead and stored in the fridge for up to 2 days or freezer for up to 2 weeks. Bring to room temperature before rolling out.
Ingredients – Shallot-Mustard Chutney
- 2 large shallots, halved and sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 T whole grain mustard
- 2 T good balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- In a small saute pan, sweat shallot and garlic in a small amount of oil on low until soft and translucent and not browning. About 5-7 mins.
- With heat still on low add balsamic and mustard and stir to combine, let mixture reduce slightly, about 1-2 mins. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Cool slightly before use.
Special thank you to our chef advisor, @jessipeine, for crafting these delicious recipes. Click below to check out one of the other holiday recipes!
- Pumpkin Lemongrass Soup
- Holiday Immunity Cocktail/Mocktail
- Crispy Pan Seared Brussels Sprouts
- Chocolate Chai Mousse
To shop So Good So You probiotic shots in stores, visit our store finder here.